Back To Home
Restaurant Camp 18 History     Event & Conference Room Contact Camp 18 Restaurant

CAMP 18 RESTAURANT HISTORY
ELSIE, OREGON

This building is Gordon Smith’s dream. In the early ‘70s he began with a few rusty pieces of equipment, some of which were donated, others on loan and most of them purchased; which all led to the construction of the log cabin.

In the early days on construction Maurie Clark joined Smith. Because of his knowledge of the logging industry he was made “Riggin’ Boss.” Together they located and restored several pieces of the old equipment. All of the timber used in the building has come from the general area and logged by Smith. It has been hauled in, hand peeled and draw knifed with the help of his family and friends.

Most dominating is the huge 85 foot ridge pole in the main room, the largest such structural member known in the United States. It weighed approximately 25 tons when cut and has 5,600 board feet of lumber in it.

Another spectacular feature of the building are the hand-carved main doors. They are cut from an old growth Fir log. Each door is 4-1/2 inches thick and weighs 500 pounds.

The two fireplaces are built with approximately 50 tons of rock found locally. The mantle of the fireplace in the main dining room is solid black walnut.

Virtually all the lumber used in the building has been cut in Smith’s mill which is set up on the property across Humbug Creek. Smith is still doing some logging in the area, but his oldest son Mark has been helping him run things so he could stay with the construction of the building. His youngest son Clay is a faller and lives and works in the area.

In the 20s and 30s the large logging operations such as Clark & Wilson, Big Creek Timber Company and others numbered all their camps. Therefore, the restaurant and logging museum is called Camp 18 because it’s located at mile post 18 on Highway 26.

In the spring of 1986 an 80 foot addition was constructed on the main building to house the kitchen and gift shop.

The restaurant is owned and operated by Gordon and Roberta Smith.

The Smith and Clark families welcome you to Camp 18.

Camp18 Restaurant and Loggers Museum, Memorial, Event Room, Conference Room Elsie Oregon

Camp 18 Restaurant, 42362 Highway 26, Elsie, Oregon 97138
Phone: (800) 874-1810 or (503) 755-1818

CONTACT US VIA E-MAIL | LINKS TO OTHER SITES

Restaurant | History | Event & Conference Facility Room | Equipment On Display | Driving Directions


© Camp 18 Logging Restaurant - Elsie, Oregon
Food, Dining and Conference and Facility Room For Rent
All Rights Reserved- Do not reproduce without permission
!


While in town, visit a nearby Logging Museum and Loggers' Memorial


(Surrounding Oregon Areas For Visitors - Seaside, Astoria, Highway 26,
Cannon Beach, Nehalem, Astoria, Wheeler, Portland, Pacific Northwest Coast)

Website photos and text by Jeff Johnston
unless credited otherwise, www.pictures-and-words.com

Design, Search Engine Optimization, Hosting:
By: Duane Elliott Enterprises, LLC

Camp18 Restaurant and Loggers Museum, Memorial, Event Room, Conference Room Elsie Oregon Camp18 Restaurant and Loggers Museum, Memorial, Event Room, Conference Room Elsie Oregon Restaurant in Elsie Oregon Contact Camp 18 Restaurant Logging Museum, Event Room, Conference Room, Loggers Equipment Elsie Oregon Camp 18 Restaurant Logging Museum, Logger Equipment, Memorial, Event Room, Conference Room BackHome